Community Outreach Chaplaincy
Our Chaplaincy Department keeps our ministry spiritually grounded by:
- Reminding us to pray for one another
- Reminding us to pray for our students
- Reminding us to pray for our families
- Reminding us to pray for our student’s families
- Reminding us to pray for our hurting community
- Reminding us to pray for our supporters and those that pray for our ministry
To many in the Austin community, our Chaplain serves as:
- a voice of reason during the storm
- a beacon of light in the darkness
- a comforting hug that touches the soul
- a ready smile that calms the fears
- an ear that really hears
- a person who cares when many others have turned away.
We love being there for our neighbors. Hope is something we give away in abundance by the concern we show, the actions we take, and the life-giving words we speak. Crises intervention is not for the faint of heart! The challenges of living in Chicago’s Austin community continually flow through our doors. While we cannot solve every problem, we try to make the best referrals we can. It is not uncommon for individuals to reveal more than one barrier they have encountered. We help them prioritize their concerns, let them know victory is possible, help them develop a plan, and encourage them to hang in there and keep fighting.
Never thought of crises intervention as a form of community development? Well, every time we help someone move forward in their life, we help the individual, the people connected to them, and the community as a whole. While the story may not make the headlines of the local newspapers, its impact could last a lifetime for the individual.
Isaiah 52: 7 “How beautiful on the mountains are the feet of those who bring good news, who proclaim peace, who bring good tidings…”